|Distribution of Octea usambarensis in Kenya|
|© Maundu P. and Bo Tengnas. (2005). Useful trees and shrubs for Kenya, World Agroforestry Centre.|
General Information about the Tree:
Optimum growth requires deep fertile soils with good drainage. Once dominant in the wet forests of the eastern Aberdares and southern Mt. Kenya, up to 2,600 m, also in Taita Hills, but now rare everywhere due to over-exploitation. Agro-ecological zones I - II.
Propagation and Tree Management
- Medicine; medicine may be extracted from the roots and inner bark.
- Firewood; is a source of firewood.
- Timber; (joinery), furniture, poles, veneer, plywood, paneling,
- Shade; it provides shade in hot sun
- Soil erosion; its roots hold the soil together preventing soil erosion:
Pests and Diseases
The fruits are highly susceptible to gall insects which heavily attack them, and the wood is susceptible to termites.